Pain and the neuromatrix

Wow, that's a cool title, isn't it?

It just sounds so obscure and clever and potentially interesting. Just like this class I'm taking!

It just started this week, and it's called called Anatomy and Pain Science. (Another potentially deceptive title.) It's one class, but it's really like two. I don't get how either relates to the other. Each have separate teachers, separate assistant teachers, completely different examinations and assignments.

But what the hey, I love them both!

One of them entails looking at bones and cadavers, woo hoo!
And the other is about pain. The greatest part is that our teacher, David Butler, has mastered the art of overcoming the (some might say chronic) pain of sitting in a class and learning about pain. I don't know how he's done it, but the whole class was riveted. I'm pretty sure they were at least, and everyone who I talked to about it also really liked it. It's a shame there are only 3 face to face lectures and the rest online. See??? I'm actually feeling sad that I won't be sitting in class MORE! But seriously folks, I'm really hoping and expecting to learn a lot here. I'll tell you all about the neuromatrix, as soon as I do the reading.
And then there was the anatomy lab, donning protective gear and braving the formaldehyde, today we got to revisit the Brachial Plexus, the Subclavian Artery, and the Internal Jugular Vein! So cool to see all this now, after working on patients for a couple of years, to go back and see again what it all looks like under there. Pity we don't get a whole body to look at, but you take what you can get. We stimulated all kinds of interesting discussion in there, such as, how much lateral flexion is there at the occipital-atlantic joint? IS there any lateral flexion at that joint at all? and in what direction of movement would it be coupled with? (if there were any lateral flexion at that joint...) and so on...

And after all that, capoeira class, dance class, and delicious homemade dinner of lentils with cabbage and some nice sausage. Yum!